stat counter

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Seeds, Spring and Salmon

My seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds  Seeds came today! Also in the order were  plant markers a new marking pen, a complimentary packet of zinnia seeds and a new cookbook,  The Pollen Family Table,  written by Corky, Lori, Dana and Tracy Pollen with a  foreword by Michael Pollen. It's a lovely cookbook with   photos of the Pollans preparing and enjoying food and  it's filled with hints, suggestions and  biographical sketches of the authors.


I   tried recipes from both my new cookbooks for supper tonight: pan seared salmon with salsa verde from the Pollan book, and saffron spinach risotto from Annabell Langbein's book. Here's a pic  of the salmon dish and  the recipe, since we gobbled ours down without taking a pic of it. It was  fun to make the salsa verde with parsley and chives from  the earthboxes on the deck and  mint and basil ( the Pollans suggested basil as a substitute for people who don't like cilantro --and I definitely don't like cilantro) overwintering in pots in the greenhouse.

It was a delicious meal, with  so many lovely flavors. I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from both books. And of course, I'm looking forward to sowing  the seeds that came.  Oh- and I  also ordered more seeds- I've decided we MUST have   summer squash and more annual herbs. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with all these grand gardening plans! At any rate, I'm looking forward to spring and watching   all the plants wake up and  leaf out  after their winter sleep.

No comments: