stat counter

Monday, April 02, 2018

Where have all the bloggers gone?

Gone to Twitter every one. With apologies to Pete Seeger, and no, maybe they haven't all gone to Twitter, but so many of the bloggers I once followed have  stopped blogging.  I've removed some of them from the list of blogs I follow. Others I have kept on the list because I enjoy re-reading them. Some have migrated to Facebook and Twitter; some, especially the food bloggers, are still blogging, but many of them  have gone "commercial," with ads and pop ups asking you to follow them and buy products. Others  seem to have just  lost interest in blogging, and a few may have died since I can find no on-line trace of them.

I've read several articles about the  birth and death of  old-style blogging, and how it has been replaced by Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and  other social media  sites that are more attuned to the modern age. But I'm not convinced that blogging is dead or that mommy blogs and food blogs are the only survivors of old-style blogging. Maybe some of us who still blog are delusional in thinking that anyone else may be interested in reading  about our lives, our families,  our political or world views, etc., and maybe we are, but I suspect some of us write, not because we think  we have multitudes of devoted  followers who hang on our every word, but because we enjoy writing and are too long-winded to fit  all out  thoughts and antics into choppy little  tweets or facebook posts.

So, we may be a dwindling breed, but we aren't dead yet.  And neither is blogging, I hope!

No comments: