stat counter

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Gorgonzola, Gorgonzola, three cheers for the green, white and blue

I  love blue cheese, except maybe for Limburger, which is a little too smelly, even for my taste. But Stilton, Roquefort, Danish blue, Gorgonzola-- I love them.  Especially Gorgonzola. Last week I had some that needed to be used up, along with some Mascarpone and a package of  Prosciutto.   So I combined them with some linguine, spinach, garlic and herbs and made something  quite  tasty and satisfying.
 I   had  about 4 oz. of  fresh baby spinach from Owl's Hollow Farm, a  hydroponic farm  near Gadsden, Alabama. Even though the spinach is young and tender, I still like to stem it, because I don't like stems in my spinach.  It's an extra step, but I find it a worthwhile one. I love adding Mascarpone to dishes like this for the creaminess it imparts.  I began by stemming, rinsing and drying the spinach, then  putting the water on to boil for the linguine.   You could use another pasta such as penne, fusilli, cavatappi, etc. but I had linguine on hand, so that's what I used. Here's the recipe. Let me know if you try it and enjoy it or have any suggestions for improvement.

1/4  lb. pasta
4-6 oz.  fresh baby spinach, stemmed, rinsed and dried
3 oz. pkg thinly sliced Prosciutto, cut into strips
1/4 lb crumbled Gorgonzola
1/2 Tbsp  minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp  dried basil
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 oz. Mascarpone cheese
salt & pepper to taste
  Cook pasta until al dente according to  directions on package.  While pasta is cooking, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet.  Add prosciutto, garlic,  basil and oregano, stirring to combine and cook over medium high heat until  lightly browned, about  two minutes. Remove from heat and add spinach,  tossing to combine. The heat will wilt the spinach. Drain cooked  pasta and return to  pot. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil,  prosciutto spinach mixture from skillet, Mascarpone and Gorgonzola.  Toss until  well combined and cheeses are melted.  Add  salt and pepper to taste and serve. 

If you, too, are a fan of Gorgonzola you might enjoy listening to this old Leslie Sarony Gorgonzola song from the 1920s:



No comments: