stat counter

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Weeding and Mulching

It's been so hot and humid this summer that  I've neglected the garden.  The once pristine (well maybe pristine is pushing it a little 😉) flower beds now resemble a jungle of weeds and grass. This nice little area, for instance looked fairly tame in May.
But now it looks like this:
The iris  and shasta daisy bed looked even worse, so I decided to tackle that first and managed to get  an hour or two of work in yesterday and this morning before the heat and humidity drove me back inside.
I pulled a lot of weeds- some were over knee high.  I filled one trash can and had to start on another.
Mr. G filled up a wheelbarrow with mulch for me so I wouldn't have to haul heavy bags of mulch around and it didn't take very long at all to use most of it up.



There's still a lot of work to do and  it's frustrating  to not be able to work for very long at a time in the heat and humidity, but  it feels good to have made a start.  And I think the butterflies agree. There were several fritillaries  flitting in the zinnias  this morning, and this lovely swallowtail who  kept me company for a while.

2 comments:

Rick Watson said...

Our flowerbeds and garden are a mess. I almost had heat stroke trying to clean it up last week.
Boss said "Let R Go."

Unknown said...

Have you had a lot of strange weeds cropping up? I've been pulling things I've never seen before -- especially chamberbitter. It looks like a mini mimosa tree- they are EVERYWHERE!